Pittsburgh Spousal Support Lawyers
Determining Spousal Support
Here at Schmidt Bresnahan Law Group, LLC, we understand that divorce can put a strain on personal finances. It is very common for spouses to be concerned over the amount of spousal support they are either entitled to or must pay after a divorce or separation.
What Is Spousal Support?
Spousal support consists of payments made by the higher-income party to the lower-income party. In Pennsylvania, there are three different types of spousal support: spousal support, alimony pendente lite (APL), and alimony. Spousal support is differentiated by when the payments are made.
The Types of Spousal Support
- This type of support is paid to the financially dependent spouse after the couple has separated. If you were found at fault for the dissolution of your marriage, this may impact your ability to receive spousal support. The spouse making the payments has the legal right to an entitlement defense if you are found at fault for the break-up of your marriage.
Alimony pendente lite (APL):
- Pennsylvania law expects divorcing spouses to support each other before the final decree is issued. This type of support is paid to the financially dependent spouse once the divorce has been filed and up until the divorce is finalized and all issues related to equitable financial distribution are resolved either by the couple or the court. APL ensures both spouses can support themselves while the divorce is pending.
- This type of support is paid to the financially dependent spouse after the divorce is finalized and all financial matters have been resolved either through court or an agreement between both parties. The court will award alimony only if the financially dependent spouse cannot meet their financial needs and if the supporting spouse can afford to help.
Pennsylvania courts also have discretion to order post-divorce alimony. Our Pittsburgh spousal support and alimony attorneys have vast experience obtaining favorable outcomes in financial issues tied to divorce.
Different Types of Alimony
Different types of alimony can be awarded as well. These include rehabilitative alimony, permanent alimony, and reimbursement alimony.
- Alimony payments can be awarded to a financially dependent former spouse if he/she needs time to “rehabilitate” or become financially independent.
- Alimony payments that are awarded to a financially dependent former spouse for that spouse’s lifetime.
- Reimbursement alimony is alimony awarded to a former spouse to reimburse them for any expenses they incurred from the other spouse. This could include educational expenses.
How Our Pittsburgh Spousal Support Lawyers Can Help
Our Pittsburgh Spousal Support attorneys have been representing clients in middle-income, upper-income and high net worth support cases for many years. Our attorneys strive to learn and adapt to all aspects of our clients’ unique financial situations. As spousal support may be necessary for the financially dependent spouse immediately, we understand how to work through these issues with urgency and professionalism.
Throughout the support and divorce process, Schmidt Bresnahan Law Group will fight to protect your interests through effective negotiations backed by our trial proven skills. Our support attorneys are dedicated to exceptional personal service, answering your concerns and guiding you through a very difficult time in your life.
To schedule an appointment with a skilled spousal support attorney, complete a form online or give us a call at (412) 693-6681.
Our Clients Always Come First
We take the time to get to know our clients, listen to their concerns and educate them on the process.
We are transparent in our approach and will not give you advice that we would not take ourselves.
Personal Attention & Responsiveness
We treat each case with extreme attention to detail and maintain open communication so you can always rely on us to be there for you when you need us the most.
An Emphasis on Strong Family Values
Our firm understands the importance of family values and works to maintain these values while striving for success in each case.