Although we all hope for marriage to end in happily ever after, this is not always the case for couples. If you can no longer make your marriage work, you need to retain the skilled legal services of a divorce attorney to guide you through the process of dissolving your marriage. At Schmidt Bresnahan Law Group, LLC in Pittsburgh, our legal team has assisted clients through the divorce process for nearly 20 years and is backed by a history of successful results. You can rely on us during this difficult time.
What are the Grounds for Divorce in Pennsylvania?
Pennsylvania offers both fault-based and no-fault divorce. If you wish to file for a fault-based divorce, you must prove grounds for divorce.
Fault-Based Grounds for Divorce
Below are the fault-based grounds for divorce available in the state:
- Cruel or barbarous treatment
- Your spouse behaved in a way that made your life extremely difficult or unbearable
No-Fault Grounds for Divorce
Below are the no-fault grounds for divorce you can claim:
- Mutual consent
- Irretrievable breakdown
How to File for Divorce in Pittsburgh, PA
Filing for divorce in Pittsburgh, PA involves the following steps:
- Meet PA Residency Requirements
- Ensure that you or your spouse meet the residency requirements for filing a divorce in Pennsylvania, which generally include residing in the state for at least six months.
- Gather Necessary Documents
- Collect important documents such as marriage certificate, financial records, property titles, and information on children, including birth certificates.
- Determine Grounds for Divorce
- Pennsylvania allows for both fault-based and no-fault divorces. Determine the appropriate grounds for your divorce, such as irretrievable breakdown of the marriage (no-fault) or adultery, abandonment, or cruelty (fault-based).
- Consult with a Pittsburgh Divorce Lawyer
- Seek the advice of a knowledgeable divorce attorney in Pittsburgh who can guide you through the legal process, protect your rights, and advocate for your interests.
- File the Divorce Complaint
- Prepare and file the divorce complaint with the appropriate family court in Pittsburgh. Pay the necessary filing fees and ensure that the complaint is properly served to your spouse.
- Negotiate Settlement or Litigate
- Attend Court Hearings
- Attend any scheduled court hearings and follow the court's instructions throughout the divorce proceedings.
- Finalize the Divorce
- Once all matters are resolved, obtain a final divorce decree from the court, officially ending the marriage.
Common Divorce-Related Issues in PA
No two divorces are alike. However, in most cases, spouses will generally have to resolve certain key issues when dissolving their marriage. Depending on the unique factors of your case, these issues can determine how complex and time-consuming your divorce ultimately is.
Here are the key issues you must resolve during your divorce:
No matter how complicated or straightforward your divorce case may be, you can rely on our experienced divorce team to provide the strong legal support you need to get through and protect your interests. We understand how challenging this experience can be and will work diligently on your behalf to secure the results you deserve.
Call Our Divorce Lawyer in Pittsburgh To Begin Discussing Your Case Today!
If you recently decided to end your marriage, now is the time to hire a skilled legal advocate to represent your case and ensure you navigate this emotionally taxing process as smoothly as possible. At Schmidt Bresnahan Law Group, LLC in Pittsburgh, our divorce attorney has a reputation for providing clients with sound legal advice and effective strategies that address their unique goals and needs. With our team on your side, you can rest assured your case will be in good hands with us.
Reach out to our divorce team today at (412) 693-6681 to set up a consultation with our experienced attorney and learn more about your legal options.
Heather is very professional.Shaina A.
Heather represented me in a divorce case recently and I feel that she did an excellent job.James T.
She had a sincere interest in my divorce, I wasn't just a client she treated me as family.Former Client
Our Clients Always Come FirstWe take the time to get to know our clients, listen to their concerns and educate them on the process.
Honest RepresentationWe are transparent in our approach and will not give you advice that we would not take ourselves.
Personal Attention & ResponsivenessWe treat each case with extreme attention to detail and maintain open communication so you can always rely on us to be there for you when you need us the most.
An Emphasis on Strong Family ValuesOur firm understands the importance of family values and works to maintain these values while striving for success in each case.