Third Party Custody Rights

Pittsburgh Attorneys for Third Party Custody Rights

What Is Non-Parental Custody?

Third party custody or non-parental custody can be granted to an individual who is seeking child custody but is not the child’s legal parent. Generally, this custody request arises when a grandparent or other close family relative of the child is concerned about the child’s wellbeing. Additionally, sometimes a parent is unwilling, unfit, or unable to take care of a child. In this instance, a third party can seek custody of the child.

Who Is Eligible for Third Party Custody?

A third party that already has a pre-existing relationship with the child can seek custody if the biological parent(s) cannot provide adequate care for the child.

The individuals who can apply for third party custody are:

  • Grandparents and great-grandparents
  • A person standing in loco parentis (in place of)
  • Any individual willing to assume responsibility of the child who has a sustained, substantial, and sincere interest in the welfare of the child (so long as neither parent has no form of care or control over the child).

Determining Factors for Establishing Third Party Custody

Each case is different, so it is helpful to work with an experienced lawyer to ensure you understand your options. The court considers the best interests of the child before awarding child custody. The factors that impact the best interest of the child standard include but are not limited to the following:

  • The child’s physical and mental wellbeing
  • Which party is the primary caretaker
  • Which party is best able to provide a loving, stable environment for the child
  • If there is a history of violence or abuse
  • The child’s interests (depending on age)
  • Which party will encourage continued contact between the child and other members of the family
  • The party’s ability to provide for the child
  • The party’s income (if the individual can provide for the child’s basic needs)

What Rights Does a Third-Party Individual Have in a Custody Case?

Non-parental custody rights are determined in an order issued by the court. These rights are not always the same rights a child’s parents are given. This order will decide whether the custody granted will be temporary or permanent, whether the child’s parent can visit their child, and whether the third party can provide for the child and maintain his/her best interests.

As custody orders are complicated and getting third party custody granted is difficult, it is important to consult with an experienced attorney beforehand. An attorney can also help you understand the provisions of your court order and how to ensure they are enforced properly.

For help with your third-party custody case, complete a form onlineor call us directly at (412) 693-6681.

  • Heather is very professional.

    Shaina A.
  • Heather represented me in a divorce case recently and I feel that she did an excellent job.

    James T.
  • She had a sincere interest in my divorce, I wasn't just a client she treated me as family.

    Former Client
  • Heather  Schmidt Bresnahan Photo
    Heather Schmidt Bresnahan

    "Heather Schmidt Bresnahan is a skilled legal advocate who provides effective representation in complex legal matters."

    Read Full Bio
Why Our Firm Is the Right Choice
  • Our Clients Always Come First
    We take the time to get to know our clients, listen to their concerns and educate them on the process.
  • Honest Representation
    We are transparent in our approach and will not give you advice that we would not take ourselves.
  • Personal Attention & Responsiveness
    We treat each case with extreme attention to detail and maintain open communication so you can always rely on us to be there for you when you need us the most.
  • An Emphasis on Strong Family Values
    Our firm understands the importance of family values and works to maintain these values while striving for success in each case.
Let Us fight for you

Contact Our Offices

Whether you have questions or you’re ready to get started, our legal team is ready to help. Complete our form below or call us at (412) 693-6681.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy