When the bonds of matrimony become irreparably strained, navigating the complexities of a divorce can be an emotionally taxing and legally intricate process. At Schmidt Bresnahan Law Group, LLC, we understand clients' challenges during such trying times. As leading divorce attorneys in Pittsburgh, we specialize in providing comprehensive legal assistance for contested divorces. Our team is dedicated to offering personalized guidance and strategic representation to help you secure your rights and navigate the complex landscape of contested divorces in Pennsylvania.
Call Schmidt Bresnahan Law Group, LLC today at (412) 693-6681 or contact us online to schedule a consultation!
What is a Contested Divorce?
A contested divorce occurs when spouses cannot agree on the terms of their divorce settlement, such as asset division, alimony, child custody, and child support. Unlike an uncontested divorce, where both parties agree on the terms, a contested divorce involves legal battles and court proceedings to determine the final settlement. This can be emotionally draining and time-consuming, requiring skilled legal counsel to protect your interests and advocate for a favorable outcome.
Contested Divorce Requirements in Pennsylvania
In Pennsylvania, specific legal grounds must be established for a contested divorce. Commonly recognized grounds for a contested divorce include:
- Fault-based Grounds: These include adultery, abandonment, cruelty, and incarceration. To proceed with a contested divorce on fault-based grounds, one party must prove that the other spouse engaged in behavior that led to the marriage breakdown.
- No-Fault Grounds: Pennsylvania also recognizes no-fault grounds for divorce, which can be based on mutual consent or a period of separation. For mutual consent, both spouses must agree the marriage is irretrievably broken and agree to the divorce. For a separation-based no-fault divorce, the spouses must have lived apart for at least two years.
Navigating these legal requirements can be complex, and having a skilled Pittsburgh contested divorce lawyer from Schmidt Bresnahan Law Group, LLC, by your side is crucial to ensure that all necessary elements are met.
How Long Does a Contested Divorce Take in Pennsylvania?
The duration of a contested divorce in Pennsylvania can vary widely depending on many factors, including the complexity of the issues involved, the court's schedule, and the willingness of both parties to cooperate. On average, a contested divorce can take several months to over a year to reach its conclusion.
The steps involving a contested divorce include:
- Filing the Complaint: The process begins with one spouse filing a divorce complaint, outlining the grounds for divorce and the relief sought.
- Discovery: Both parties gather information and evidence relevant to the case, including financial records, property valuations, and other pertinent documents.
- Negotiations: Lawyers for both sides attempt to negotiate a settlement on various issues, such as property division, alimony, and child custody. Mediation or alternative dispute resolution methods may be employed to facilitate negotiations.
- Court Proceedings: The case may proceed to court if negotiations fail. Each party presents its arguments and evidence before a judge, who will make decisions on contested issues.
- Final Judgment: Once all contested matters are resolved, the court will issue a final divorce judgment, outlining the settlement terms and legally ending the marriage.
Contact Our Pittsburgh Contested Divorce Attorney Today
Navigating a contested divorce is a challenging journey that requires the guidance of seasoned legal professionals who understand the intricacies of Pennsylvania family law. At Schmidt Bresnahan Law Group, LLC, we are committed to providing compassionate yet assertive representation to our clients during these difficult times. Our team of Pittsburgh contested divorce lawyers will diligently advocate for your rights, provide you with straightforward legal advice, and stand by your side throughout every step of the process.
Contact Schmidt Bresnahan Law Group, LLC today to schedule a consultation with our contested divorce lawyer in Pittsburgh!
Heather is very professional.Shaina A.
Heather represented me in a divorce case recently and I feel that she did an excellent job.James T.
She had a sincere interest in my divorce, I wasn't just a client she treated me as family.Former Client
Our Clients Always Come FirstWe take the time to get to know our clients, listen to their concerns and educate them on the process.
Honest RepresentationWe are transparent in our approach and will not give you advice that we would not take ourselves.
Personal Attention & ResponsivenessWe treat each case with extreme attention to detail and maintain open communication so you can always rely on us to be there for you when you need us the most.
An Emphasis on Strong Family ValuesOur firm understands the importance of family values and works to maintain these values while striving for success in each case.