Protection from Abuse
Pittsburgh PFA Lawyers Helping Keep Your Family Safe
Like a restraining order, a protection from abuse (PFA) order prohibits an alleged abuser and a victim from contacting one another. It also protects any minor children who are also in need of protection.
No one should have to live with abuse. If you or someone you love is in harm’s way, do not hesitate to reach out to an experienced lawyer on our team. We will walk you through the entire process of a PFA to help protect you and your family members. If you need immediate assistance, call 911 or contact a domestic violence shelter in Pittsburgh.
What Is a Protection from Abuse (PFA) Order?
A PFA is a court order that offers a victim of domestic violence civil legal protection from their abuser.
The Different Types of PFA Orders in PA
In Pennsylvania, there are three different types of PFA orders:
- Emergency order. If you need immediate protection from abuse, you can receive an emergency order. You can obtain one of these by calling your local police department or dialing 911 and they will direct you to an on-call judge who you can speak with. If the judge thinks you need an emergency order, he/she will grant it to you. This PFA only lasts until the following business day. You will need to go to court the next day to apply for a temporary PFA.
- Ex parte or temporary. This is a temporary order that the judge will grant if he/she finds that you or your minor child(ren) are in immediate danger and need protection. This order lasts until your court hearing date for your final PFA. A hearing is typically scheduled within 10 business days.
- Final. After the court hearing, the judge will determine if he/she should grant you a final protection from abuse order. A final PFA lasts for 3 years and can be extended under certain circumstances. To learn more about these circumstances, contact an experienced lawyer for assistance.
What Protections Does a PFA Provide?
Protection from Abuse Orders (PFA) can help keep you and your child(ren) safe in the following ways:
- Award temporary custody or visitation rights of your minor child(ren)
- Order the abuser to not abuse, harass, threaten, stalk or harm you or your minor child(ren)
- Have the abuser removed from your home
- Order the abuser to provide financial support to you and your child(ren)
- Prohibit the abuser from contacting you or your child(ren)
- Order the abuser to give his/her firearm (including licensed firearms), weapons, and ammunition to the police
- Grant additional relief you request
Finding Hope for Victims of Domestic Abuse
Domestic abuse harms individuals from all walks of life. If you or a loved one is a victim of domestic abuse, get in touch with our firm today. We can empower you by providing you with the legal information you need to put a PFA order in place. Your safety and wellbeing are our top priorities.
Do not hesitate to reach out to us onlineor call us at (412) 693-6681 for assistance with your PFA order
Heather is very professional.Shaina A.
Heather represented me in a divorce case recently and I feel that she did an excellent job.James T.
She had a sincere interest in my divorce, I wasn't just a client she treated me as family.Former Client
Heather Schmidt Bresnahan
"Heather Schmidt Bresnahan is a skilled legal advocate who provides effective representation in complex legal matters."Read Full Bio
Our Clients Always Come FirstWe take the time to get to know our clients, listen to their concerns and educate them on the process.
Honest RepresentationWe are transparent in our approach and will not give you advice that we would not take ourselves.
Personal Attention & ResponsivenessWe treat each case with extreme attention to detail and maintain open communication so you can always rely on us to be there for you when you need us the most.
An Emphasis on Strong Family ValuesOur firm understands the importance of family values and works to maintain these values while striving for success in each case.
Contact Our Offices
Whether you have questions or you’re ready to get started, our legal team is ready to help. Complete our form below or call us at (412) 693-6681.